The Scarlet Lion
The second of two stand alone novels about William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke and Regent of England. William Marshal’s prowess and loyalty as a knight in the English royal household has been rewarded by marriage to Isabelle de Clare, a great heiress. When King Richard dies, the couple’s contentment and security is shattered as Richard’s brother John takes the throne. Suspecting William of treachery, he demands his sons as hostages and seizes his lands. The conflict between remaining loyal and rebelling over these injustices threatens to tear William and Isabelle’s marriage apart and ruin their lives.
As the political situation intensifies, William has to steer an increasingly precarious path that will eventually lead him to the rule of a country in desperate straits. Fiercely intelligent and courageous, fearing for the man who is the light of her life, Isabelle too must come to terms with destiny.
Extracts for download
Links, blog posts and resources
- William Marshal’s biography
- Sources used in the writing of William Marshal’s biography
- My William Marshal Facebook group
- The Greatest Knight – the prequel to The Scarlet Lion
- To Defy A King – the story of William’s daughter, Mahelt
- Cartmel – William Marshal’s Prior(it)y
- Chepstow Castle Doors and The Bookseller
- William Marshal – the ‘meme’
- A Knight to remember….or perhaps not?
- A grave situation for William Marshal
- Download The Scarlet Lion, William’s device, as a cross stitch pattern created by Daphne Risch: page 1 | page 2 | page 3